Saturday, February 09, 2008

Holy Blizzard!

We recently experienced the mother of all blizzards here in the Midwest.


Luckily, we had enough food in this gluttenous house to last us about 6 months (egad), so we hunkered down to wait it out. Our favorite neighbor Ben made his way through our pasture's waist-deep snow to come and hang out (now that's commitment - I couldn't even see our pasture right then), and the video games were a'buzz, the books a'strewn, and the board games a'... a'... um... the board games were a'played. Oh, and the fire was a'blaze.


But then, right in the middle of the storm, with the weatherpeople still warning we'd get at least seven more inches, I turned to see Rob bundling up in his snow gear. Turns out, this city-boy-turned-country-boy loves an excuse to drive our farm tractor.


And, if he waits too long, my brother-in-law Marcel will beat him to it...


and Rob will have to sit and fidget and watch out the window while Marcel plows our driveway.


I'd like to think it's some sort of manly-man code that says a man can't stand to let another man do his work for him.

But it's not that at all.


It's all about driving a big-boy toy.

You probably can't see him, but he's wearing a big old smile right about now.

A smile that says, "Nah nah Marcel! Beat ya!"




11 comments:

Lynn said...

What fun.
I am sure it is soooo cold and most inconvenient to be holed up, but Oh to have a real winter instead of the wet, foggy days we get over here.!! When I come to think about it not much different from most of our summers!!!xx

Stacie said...

That is one kick-a** tractor! I can see why he wants to play with it. Boys...

Jackie said...

You've got my husband laughing over here. And then he said, "Ah hah! So that's why Rob started plowing before the snow even stopped." Too funny.

Mrs. G. said...

Call me crazy, but I would love to experience one major blizzard in my life. I love the light in these photos-it's such a gentle blue.

Beverly said...

I'd say you have him pegged.

KMDuff said...

I can see that smile. DH gets it around his big boy toys too. I wonder if he has ever felt tractor envy.

denise said...

That was a whopper, eh? Wow!

K. said...

That's hilarious and darling.

But we might need to talk about the snow. If we marry... um... how do you feel about living in Oregon?

Or maybe we could have a city house and a country house?

K. said...

BTW - I've been neglecting you terribly lately, I know. But I was still thinking of you, as evidenced by the nominations over at the Blogger's Choice Awards:

I think this link will take you there. And yes, I DID go there with the food blog! :P Cackling all the way, but sincere as well.

I should tell you, though, that I also nominated you for Hottest Mommy Blogger because I think everyone should be at one time or another (plus, we're practically betrothed, so it seemed only right) but only afterward did I find out that the Blogitzer category is for best writing, and I probably would have chosen that one if I'd known. Because while you're plenty pretty, I mostly love you for your brain. :P

Roxanne said...

My boys would love some of that snow!
Here in New Jersey we haven't had more than a dusting yet this year.
To answer your question about my hair- I use Punky Colour in Flamingo Pink.It's semi-permament so I have to re-apply every 6-8 weeks or so.

Roxanne said...

O.K. as soon as I wrote that last comment about wishing it would snow here-it started to snow and we were able to go sledding! Does your blog have magical powers? I need to test this- I'll wish to win the lottery. Now if your blog makes that one happen I'll share with you!