Friday, June 29, 2007

8 Things About Me

I was tagged by Diana, so here goes.... Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

(You know, this would be much more fun if my mom and any other elders-I-can't-let-down weren't going to read it.... *wink wink*.... ;-)

So hmmmm, let's see.... safe-to-share tidbits....

1. I have thin-thin-thin Pisces skin, even though my Taurus rising sign doesn't let me show it. I can be stubborn and opinionated and I am super extroverted, so folks just assume I have no qualms about putting myself out there. Truth is, depending upon the day, my mood, and where my hormones are at that particular moment, the slightest thing can send me into a serious tailspin. We pisces have porous skin, so we take it all in - the good, the bad, the subtle nuances that you think no one picks up on.....

2. I always sneeze three times. I guess the first two are just warm-ups for the big'un. My dad used to think it was funny, so as I'd sneeze, he'd count. "One more... yep, there's two... where's three... THERE it is!" It was sorta weird that he'd count every time, but now I miss all those silly things.

3. I am terrible in times of crisis. The closer you are to me, the harder it is for me to run to your side. Now, that's not to say I won't run to your side, because come hell or high water I'll be there, but it is oh-so-hard for me to do it. I don't know exactly why. I think partly it's because you're all so damn important to me, critical to my survival in life-as-I-know-it, that I can't bear the threat to that stability. And partly, it's that whole worry that I won't know what to do or what to say, even though I know there is no one-right-thing to do or say, it's the togetherness and outreach that is healing. I'm not proud of this trait - it's something I'm working on.

4. I want to live somewhere else. I've made no secret of it, but it's been a very serious practice in 'bloom where you're planted' mindfulness to not let it consume me with longing. I can honestly say I'm happy here, and I'm appreciative of my roots and family connections, and it's really not that I want to leave anyone, it's just that I've always had this wanderlust inside me and it hasn't been sated.

5. Out of all the potential leg-shaving years, I've probably only shaved during about 5 of them. Even when I was a teenager, sunning on the beach with cousin Erin, perching coyly to impress the boys, I had hairy legs. Seriously. And as an adult, well, I figger the hair is there for a reason, y'know? And it's so much damn work to get it off. I know, this probably falls under TMI, but for what it's worth, ever since my dad died I've had the desire to shave and have had silky smooth legs ever since. I don't know what that means.

6. I want to pierce my nose. Surprise! I'm not sure why on this one, either, I just do. I'm not a tattoo kinda grrrl, and I'm pretty particular about my adornments. Love-love-love printed skirts, funky shoes (I've got so many, they block the entrance to my closet), bracelets (I wear 2-5 on any given day), dangly earrings (but not too big, and handmade and artistic/beaded are best), and the occasional ring (used to wear several, now I often don't even have my wedding ring on). But I don't care so much for necklaces (I wear them on occasion, but even small ones make me feel "too done" - when I look in the mirror, the necklace is the thing that sends it over the top, "visual clutter"), and I have only colored my hair once. So a very discreet, simple nose ring is right up my alley. I broke the news to my husband who more or less cringed in horror, so I haven't felt encouraged to pursue it much further. Let's take a vote - what do you say? I even have a kindred piercing partner who's awaiting my cue....

7. Wow, what else... I'm really clutter-phobic, but only in my own house. I'm a regular contributor to Goodwill, and I hate keeping things around for 'just in case.' I actually enjoy other people's clutter, though, because it speaks of a life that is being lived, not some neurotic need to keep a house that looks like no one lives in it. Like I do. Well, used to. Things are a bit messier 'round here these days, because I'm working hard to lighten up and because I got tired of picking up. I can't breathe when my own space has too much stuff in it. Once, at a workshop, we did a guided meditation where we traveled to visit with our future selves (it happened to be the first guided meditation I was ever able to really tune in to), and my future self lived in a very, VERY spare place, with only a bed, a rustic wooden table, and the minimal essentials. I'm not aware of any conscious need to live especially primitively, but openness definitely brings me peace.

8. Sheesh, I'm running out of ideas... I rarely, almost never forget a face. I can't always remember when I met you (cuz linear thinking ain't my thing), but I can very often remember where we were, what was going on, the mood of the day, whether or not you and I were comfortable in the moment, etc. And if I don't recall those things, it could only be because I was hyper-tuned-in to something else at the time, something else really nabbed my all-consuming attention. Because when I can't recall an instance, it really rattles me, cuz it's one of my thangs, a gift.

Alright, that's enough sharing outta me! pant pant... Let's see, do I know 8 people with blogs? Who haven't been tagged yet? Here goes:

I tag (even though I know most of them won't do it!):
Sharon
Jackie
Gemma
Wendy
Silvia
Luna
Peace Goddess
b . v o c k

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can especially relate to the numbers 5,6,7...and the wanderlust thing is a given. Though I am feeling rather sweet about Portland. I really want consistent summer weather though, this 60 degree business is not my style. Go for the nose stud! I am not a huge jewelry wearer, but the stuff that I have I never take off. I would feel utterly naked without my nose ring. The old man will get used to it.

Silvia said...

Sadly, I have already done this meme. :) But I'll throw in a couple things here--my desk is covered in papers and other stuff, and it's about 6-7 ft long and 3 ft deep, so that's a lot of mess! I have several books I'm wanting to read at the same time, but getting nowhere with any of them. Aaahhhg!