Friday, July 28, 2006

Considering Compost


"The next time you feel like complaining, remember that your garbage disposal probably eats better than 30 percent of the people in the world." ~Robert Orben

I love quotes. I collect them, and have so many I ought to catergorize them for easier reference. This quote came to mind as I was on salad duty last night. My sister ranks her compost clippings as she chops. "This is very good compost," she'll say as she tosses an eggshell into the stained bucket. These days our compost competition is chickens versus gardens. I used to empty my compost bucket straight into the gardens, where dark, rich soil showed no carrot stump went unused. But now we dump it into the chicken yard. Fruit peelings and soggy greens make a chicken's day, they do. I suppose chicken manure fertilizer and brightly yellow-yolked eggs are the advantage to this system. Ultimately, I just can't resist a face, even one with a beak and beady eyes.